Beeyard

Beeyard

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Building Blocks

My dining room has turned into my new studio where I am spending blissful days and nights transforming tragedies into treasures. My poor family is having to put up with countertops and tables full of supplies as well as eating their meals downstairs in front of the television instead of at the table. For me, having my own business to run is well worth putting up with the mess, but for them? The verdict is still out. For now they are being especially tolerant. When the weather turns around again in a few months I can transfer everything to the garage.

An interesting point I'd like to bring up is that I have been extremely hard on myself for most of my adult life. You know that voice inside your head, that recording that plays over and over when you get to thinking about how you're managing yourself? Well my recording has gone something like this: "You are lazy. You will never amount to anything. You quit everything and finish nothing. You will always be broke both financially and spiritually. You hold no value and you can't pull your weight. You are a burden to everyone."

Now, don't get me wrong. This is not the image I put forth in public. This (until now) plays only in my head and is on a loop. Here's the thing though - Since early November I have been talking back to the voice. No, not in public, but when I'm by myself I yell, "Back the fuck off!" 

I'm doing what I love to do right now. I'm doing what I have always wanted to do but never dared to do. I'm doing what my heart and soul ache to do - to own my own business and be in charge of my days and nights. I'm NOT LAZY! That has been the BIGGEST EPIPHANY! I have more energy than I've ever had. It's because I'm doing work that fulfills me - I am living my dream. The money I'm existing on may run dry very soon, but you know what? I can always substitute teach for a few days to catch up again, or find something to do where I can make a $100 here and there. Last weekend I worked at the grocery store talking to customers about wine! I love wine, and I love talking about wine so it didn't even feel like work. But what I really want to do is hunt for junk, turn it into something beautiful, and sell it back to someone who will tenderly love it.

This past week I attended several auctions and promise to dedicate an entire post or more to auctions. What a rush! I'm hoping I can help you, if you're interested, avoid the pitfalls that I've already fell into where buying junk is concerned.

A note about my photos before signing off: I'm refinishing an old Victorian style headboard and footboard. The footboard is the most ornate of the two. I'm making both of them into welcome signs perfect for a front porch. As you can see from the photos, I've had to do some patching. Holy wood filler! The worst of it is on the back though (that's what you're seeing in the photos) and I don't have to be very fussy with it because it's just going to be a sign on a front porch for gosh sakes. For those of you who give a crap, I've been experimenting with making my own chalk paints. I adore Annie Sloan paints but can't afford them and can't get them except for online because I live in the boonies. 

Much love to y'all and Happy Holidays. Kiss your kids! Kiss your partner! Don't kiss your boss (I did that once - I don't recommend it). 

Solo tu mi capisci!

Christine
my dining room


No comments:

Post a Comment