Beeyard

Beeyard

Sunday, January 24, 2010

I Was Here

Deciding what to write for my very first blog was daunting. Then I began asking myself what blogging means to people, and I decided it is simply a way of saying, "I was here."

When I was in Aruba a few years back I was mesmerized by the thousands of rock piles up and down the ocean shore which created such a stark contrast to the water mass of turquoise it jutted up against. Of course I created a few of these "rock piles" myself.

It wasn't until I returned to The States that I found out that many people call these rock piles "Cairns". Cairns are also a human being's way of saying, "I was here." Since then I find myself creating these layered rock beauties anytime I am out enjoying the abundance of nature whether it be on a hike, kayaking down the Kinnikinnick, canoing in the Boundary Waters, or at a backyard barbeque.

Blogging, creating cairns on a hike, carving initials in a tree, or writing a name in a school desk: these are only some of the ways we can let the world know we exist, and we matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment